Thursday, September 22, 2016

Project-based Learning


Perhaps one of the most successful teaching styles I incorporate in my class is project-based learning. 

Earlier today, I gave the design of the unit project which is a pet house model for the application of measurement, trigonometry, and geometry concepts in Math. I explained the process, the curriculum outcomes they need to cover, rubric, report template, and what possible ideas they could bring into towards the realization of their project. In one of the classes, I asked if someone knows how to draw using CAD or any software for drawing blueprint. Unfortunately, nobody raised a hand. I was going to introduce it class but due to the week-long holiday in October, I find it hard to include. I told them if they wish to use any technology to their project they must inform me beforehand so I can check or recommend something. To be honest, I already told the students about the idea and in fact lat Monday I had one student who already made a model. I told him to wait till I explain it to the whole class. I even had a student who asked me if he could create a model together with his father and I said no.

Project-based learning in Math engage students to learn and apply what they've been learning at school to real life situations. Students are more motivated and they get to enjoy doing it while learning something. It does leave some good memories too, even some silly mistakes while doing the projects.



   (Pet house models of Math 10 - three years ago)      

  (Mousetrap Cars in my Physics 11 class, evaluated by Getrag-Ford mechanical engineers.)





If you want to learn more about project-based learning in a math classroom, read these articles below:






No comments:

Post a Comment