Thursday, September 1, 2016

First Day of School (School Year 2016-2017)

Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. 

John Dewey

Yesterday(Beijing time) was the first day of the new school term. It was an easy start since I was just discussing classroom routines and rules, expectations, year plan, and some orientation about studying in the Sino-Canadian Program in nanchang No. 2 High School.

I teach the same subject, but different students every year. This is my fourth year of teaching Grade 10 Math Plus for Nova Scotia International Program based in China. This year I am teaching four different classes with class population 23-27 students in 32 teaching periods (45 minutes each period) per week. That is a lot, huh? There is a shortage of Math teachers so we were asked to teach more classes. Last year, I had 117 students, same teaching loads. I will talk about this case in another time.

I would like to use this blog to keep everyone posted with what is going on in my class. I have tons of files that I planned before to publish but because I was busy travelling and working full-time plus overtime, I forgot about it. I did share some of my stuff in social media but only for public audience, not for teachers’ community, which I thought, could be more useful.

Anyways, I should get going. Over the next few days I should be able to highlight the basics in teaching Math 10 Plus to Chinese students with a curriculum designed for Canadian students. I will be focusing on the following aspects:

1) Classroom Routines
2) Vocabulary Instruction
3) Project-based Learning
4) Inquiry-based Learning
5) Differentiated Instruction
6) Seating Arrangements
7) Assessments
8) Students’ Work Outcomes
9) Resource Depot for Math Support
10) Students Feedbacks
11) Unit Lesson Planning
12) Self-Reflection
13) Math Portfolio

I will start sorting and organizing my files so that I can share it to the teachers community. Feel free to leave your comments.


Sincerely,



Lilian

No comments:

Post a Comment