Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Long Weekend - Should we give students homework?

I don't know what's trending in Canada right now but in China, teachers give homework for the students to complete during long weekends or holidays. The parents like the idea to see their kids working on something. But for me, it really depends on my lessons.

This coming weekend, is the Mid-Autumn Festival so we got two days off plus the weekend. My students asked me already if I'm giving them homework. I told them for now, I can't think of any since our lessons is very easy for them. At least they get time to relax or do their Chinese homework. Sometimes, I give homework during longer holidays like Chinese New Year or the October holiday. But mostly their homework is mostly related to their English improvement in Math like posters or Powerpoint presentations of their favorite Mathematicians and their achievements or favorite math topics and examples. If they are working on a project, half of the project is done before the holiday and the rest can be finish at home but they have to check in with me at least twice online for follow-up.

What's your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment